58 Photos of 58 Days in Africa
As savvy readers of our blog may have noticed, we enjoyed our 2 month overland trip (check out this post, or this one, or this one). But we did so many things that my memories are already blurring together. So this post of our daily itinerary is mostly for myself, but if you are planning a tour or a drive, or just love our Africa stories, enjoy! Thanks Tour Leader Joe for providing this list, I was not one of the dedicated journalers on the trip! – Alissa
1. Saturday, January 4 – Drive to Arusha, Tanzania
Our first day on the overland truck. We spent the night at a campsite called Snake Park that had a bar in which all proceeds benefit a free health clinic for locals.
4. Tuesday January 7 – Serengeti National Park
The Great Migration in the Serengeti.
7. Friday, January 10 – View of Mount Kilimanjaro from our campsite before driving to Segera
8. Saturday, January 11 – Drive to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The roads of Dar es Salaam.
9. Sunday, January 12 – Ferry to Zanzibar
After the ferry to Zanzibar, we took a bus ride up to Nungwi Beach.
10. Monday, January 13 – Nungwi Beach
The sunset view during our booze cruise!
11. Tuesday, January 14 – Nungwi Beach
12. Wednesday, January 15 – Stone Town
We also had lunch at The Rock, a unique restaurant
13. Thursday, January 16 – Drive to Mikumi bushcamp
14. Friday, January 17 – Drive to Sao Hills bushcamp
15. Saturday, January 18 – Drive to Chitimba, Malawi
One of our favorite beaches of the trip which featured beach soccer, plenty of frisbee and volleyball, and we even got to teach our fellow passengers beersbee, our favorite drinking game!
16. Sunday, January 19 – Chitimba (20k hike up Nyika Plateau)
17. Monday, January 20 – Chitimba
Attempted drive to Kande, had to turn around due to road blockage.
18. Tuesday, January 21 – Drive to Kande Beach
19. Wednesday, January 22 – Kande Beach
On Kande beach we took part in some beach games, a costume party, and a pig roast.
20. Thursday, January 23 – Kande Beach
Island fishing trip with a local. This island was even close enough for me to swim to!
21. Friday, January 24 – Drive to Lilongwe
We had to all get off the truck and walk across this bridge first. Then the truck crossed it without any passengers. I’m glad it made it across!
22. Saturday, January 25 – Drive to Mozambique bushcamp
Stopping for some roadside chicken and chips.
23. Sunday, January 26 – Drive to Casa Msika Lodge
Celebrating Australian Day with all the Aussies on the trip by having a punch night!
24. Monday, January 27 – Casa Msika
Our truck got stuck in the mud and we had to stay in Mozambique an extra night.
25. Tuesday, January 28 – Drive to Great Zimbabwe Ruins
26. Wednesday, January 29 – Drive to Antelope Park
27. Thursday, January 30 – Antelope Park
Watching lions hunt on the night encounter.
28. Friday, January 31 – Antelope Park
Us on the lion walk.
29. Saturday, February 1 – Drive to Bulawayo
30. Sunday, February 2 – Bulawayo
Trekking to spot some white rhinos.
31. Monday, February 3 – Drive to Tucker Camp near Hwange National Park
Me and my cook group making tacos, including tortillas made from scratch!
32. Tuesday, February 4 – Drive to Victoria Falls
33. Wednesday, February 5 – Victoria Falls
Dan bungee jumping off the Victoria Falls bridge.
34. Thursday, February 6 – Victoria Falls
35. Friday, February 7 – Victoria Falls
A photo from a helicopter ride taken by our fellow passenger Bill.
36. Saturday, February 8 – Drive to Kasane, Botswana
We took a sunset pontoon boat safari.
We spent two nights camping on the delta with our local guides.
40. Wednesday, February 12- Okavango Delta
41. Thursday, February 13 – Return to Maun
42. Friday, February 14 – Drive to Ngepi Camp, Namibia
43. Saturday, February 15 – Drive to Baobab tree bushcamp
44. Sunday, February 16 – Drive to Etosha
A watering hole on our desert game drive.
45. Monday, February 17 – Drive to Cheetah Park
46. Tuesday, February 18 – Drive to Brandberg Mountains
47. Wednesday, February 19 – Drive to Swakopmund
Hiking Spitzkoppe Peak.
48. Thursday, February 20 – Swakopmund
49. Friday, February 21 – Swakopmund
Two locals enjoying a moment during Dan’s township tour.
50. Saturday, February 22 – Drive to Bousmans Camp
51. Sunday, February 23 – Drive to Sesrium NWR Sossuvlei
52. Monday, February 24 – Drive Naute Dam
53. Tuesday, February 25 – Drive to Felix Unite
Hiking the rim of Fish River Canyon.
54. Wednesday, February 26 – Felix Unite
55. Thursday, February 27 – Drive to Cape Town
Our first green scenery after leaving the Namibia
56. Friday, February 28 – Cape Town
A wine tour in Fraenchoek.
57. Saturday, March 1 – Cape Town
A cricket match in Cape Town.
58. Sunday, March 2 – Cape Town
Hiking Table Mountain.